Minutes– Orangevale TigerSharks Parent Meeting
Kristin: welcome and meeting brought to order; introduced the Board members
Magnet with key dates provided to attendees, if you missed meeting reach out to Hillary and
a magnet(s) can be made available
• Times/age group are listed on magnet;
• First practice 05/02
• Practices are every day, if child misses practice, they will not be penalized, but the
more they attend the better they’ll be
• 21/05 – time trials to determine events for swimmers; swimmers swim most events
• Technique practice on M and W are not meant to be the only practice for your
swimmer; supplements the other conditioning practices
• Maintain distance between parents/siblings and coaches to give best opportunity
for success; try to stay under the awning or on the grass outside the pool area
• 6 swim meets and “Champs”(07/23), in between there is other fun stuff; all kids get
to come to Champs at Woodland, and there’s nothing to be worried about if they are
first time swimmers.
• 6yr and under - only swim three events, freestyle, backstroke, and a relay
• Keep in mind there are 25 swimmers in each age group; often your child will only
swim 3 or 4 events; every swimmer gets a chance to do the relays but it is different
rotation every week
• Relays are difficult at the younger ages, because breast stroke and fly are
challenging at younger ages and they may be disqualified for improper form
• Please speak to members of the TigerSharks Board with questions because they can
get back to you faster; want to reduce the amount of direct questions to coaches
• Must register for all meets using “Active.com” ; this is a process is initiated
through Park and Rec so need to wait until everyone is final and paid in order for
you to get an invite.
• Check-in for ALL meets is 7am, regardless of location.
• Double check-in system: Swimmer checks in with coaches, parents check-in with
• Encouragement necklace with beads - when they beat their time, they go to the PR
tent to ring a bell and get a bead for their necklace to emphasize personal growth,
competing against your personal best.
• Hospitality-at meets Hillary will send an email with instructions and what you need
to bring for your child/age group; whatever you bring, you drop it off at hospitality.
• We do not do a snack bar, so please bring your own ice-chest with your own food to
the meets. There will be a taco/quesadilla truck available; Kona Ice will be available
• Volunteering is required so that there is balance for all parents to be able to watch
some of the meets and support the community.
o Buy-outs will not be available this year. You will be required to volunteer at
every meet your child is in, if you cannot volunteer for extraordinary
circumstances, please speak to Hillary and she will figure out a way for you
o Volunteer positions discussed
o Stroke and Turn – if you are interested in volunteering for this, they would
like you to attend a one-time training so you can participate in this judging.
Dates will be provided.
WWW.OVTS.CLUB – Website - strongly encourage parents to buy team suits; use the
measurement guide online; thinking of doing personalized swim caps also available online
Ice-cream social – 6/29
Fundraisers – 2 planned; pays for equipment (kickboards, lane lines, league fees etc.);
• 05/11 dine-out night at Dad’s kitchen 4-8pm; No need to tell them you’re with
the swim team, just show up and eat and 10% of sales from food goes to the
• 06/14 – swimmers swim as many laps as possible and raise money with
donations; can volunteer to count the laps that the kids do. There are lap winner
prizes, t-shirt competition where the kids get to design the shirts and then the
coaches pick the “best” shirt
• Mostly through email
• Some hard copies will be handed out on the pool deck at the earliest second week of
practice; after adjustment for team membership changes is done
• Add your name to the website if you are having trouble getting emails and there is
also a Facebook page
• If you use Gmail, you can subscribe to the email and get the Google calendar
Water Safety Check:
For kids new to the team, there will be a water safety check. There is a requirement for kids
to be able to swim one full length of the pool.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
We are looking forward to meeting the 2023 TigerSharks!
Like us on Facebook